The Advice You Give, but Don't Take with Dr. Rebekah Tennyson, Type 2w1Feb 03, 2022
Do you find yourself giving great advice and being generous, supportive, and understanding with others?
"You did a great job with that! How are you going to celebrate?"
"We all have those days. Nothing is wrong with you."
"Everyone needs a break. I'm in support of you getting rested."
But then when a situation presents itself to apply that same advice to yourself, you don't take it - resting, celebrating, forgiving. None of that applies to you because you don't deserve it or your situation is so different, right?
Our guest today explains why we do this to ourselves and how to think about it a different way, so that we can gift ourselves that same love and care that we so freely give to others.
Dr. Rebekah Tennyson is a Clinical Psychologist with a degree in Social and Political Sciences from the University of Cambridge and a doctorate in Clinical Psychology from the University of Oxford.
She's co-host of a Drop in the Bucket podcast, a trained Enneagram coach with Enneagram University, has completed an Externship in Emotion Focused Therapy, and other training courses in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy/DNA-V, Dialectical Behavioural Therapy skills, and Narrative Exposure Therapy.
And in this episode, she's also joining us as an Enneagram Type 2 wing 1. As someone who's spent years studying human behavior, it's such a treat to hear her insight on the Enneagram in general, and how she specifically experiences life and work as a Type 2.
You'll also hear:
- How she's folding in her Enneagram work outside of her day job
- What it looks like when her Type 8 Stress Arrow shows up
- What she's learned about her Type 4 Growth Arrow
- How she uses the Enneagram with couples and a key phrase she always starts with
- What the repressed Center of Intelligence (head, heart, body) can tell us about the disconnect we have with someone else
- The most creative and fun way to use the Enneagram for authors or anyone interested in creating fictional characters
- Her best advice when making a career change
Connect with Rebekah on Instagram:
Learn more about her couples therapy:
Listen to her podcast, A Drop in the Bucket:
Get Enneagram resources for influencing and interacting with people at work.
Understanding People is a free weekly newsletter sent out each Saturday morning with Enneagram insights, self-awareness how-to, book recommendations, and human behavior research to help you build healthy relationships, inspire others to action, and live the best version of yourself.